Why is switching to organic ingredients better for your health? In this article we discuss ways that doing so is not only safer for you as an individual but for the environment as well.
A few years ago, scientists discovered live bacteria inside a bottle of hairspray. This was an exceptional example of why cosmetic products should be safely preserved. Microbes can grow anywhere. These tiny organisms are capable of making us sick. This is where healthy, organic products come into play.
Products are formulated to keep the microorganisms at bay. How do producers do this? They add preservatives to the formulas! How do preservatives work? Did you know there are many restricted ingredients in the products you use?
Why Do Products Contain Harmful Ingredients?
The skin is your largest organ. Anything that touches your skin can affect your health. The reason your products need preservatives is to stop the growth of microbes. Mold, bacteria, and yeast are the most common microbes that can infect products. If you don’t want these microbes to harm your skin and your health, you need to be aware of their names and descriptions.
1. Parabens are the preservatives that are used most often. They are available in the form of powders that are often not soluble in water. They work against a wide range of fungi and bacteria. But they are not effective against several other microbes because of pH limitations.
2. Quats, or quaternary compounds, contain nitrogen and include formaldehyde. Quats kill several microbes. Still, quats are much less useful because of the skin irritation they may cause. Quats are a common preservative used to kill microbes. They are effective against fungi, bacteria, and mold. Safety concerns and bad press have led some companies to stop using quats in cosmetics.
3. Ethanol is the best preservative, but it is subject to too many restrictions. There are also other compounds like dichlorobenzene alcohol, benzyl alcohol, and propylene glycol. These compounds also have an anti-microbial effect.
Should You Make the Switch to Organic Skincare Products?
Organic skincare products are everywhere today. We find organic products at the grocery store, the pharmacy, and the farmer’s market. These products shouldn’t contain any chemicals. This makes them safer and better for our health.
Reasons Organic Products Are Better for Your Health
- Human skin absorbs 60% of what we apply. Organic products are safe for your skin because they don’t include any toxic chemicals. These products are prepared with plant-based, organic ingredients.
- Organic products heal red marks and provide a natural glow to the skin.
- Organic products are 100% natural.
- When you use organic products, you are contributing to a better, cleaner environment.
- The farming of organic products is less harmful to wildlife. Farming organic products means less exposure to toxic pesticides.
Don’t want to harm your health? Don’t apply or use toxic products. Switch to organic products instead.