Not all foods are suitable for your pet. Some foods can be deadly. How are you supposed to know what to avoid? Let’s look at 5 toxic foods to keep away from your pet.
Foods Are Toxic to Our Pets?
You’ve heard the stories of pets ingesting something they shouldn’t have and suffering the consequences. It’s hard to lose a pet over something as trivial as human food. That’s why it’s important to pay attention to which foods are toxic to your pet.
Here are 5 foods to get you started.
Eating too much chocolate can cause severe illness, and even death in pets (especially dogs, cats, and ferrets). It can also lead to seizures, shaking, diarrhea, and extreme thirst.
If your pet has eaten chocolate and shows any symptoms, get them to the vet right away. You can also try feeding your pet a slight amount of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. Read WebMD’s list of symptoms and treatments for more information.
Ingesting salt can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, coma, and even death. That’s not a list of symptoms you want your pet to have. Dogs and cats have a higher risk.
Check your pet’s food for salt before they ingest it. If your pet does ingest salt, contact the Pet Poison Helpline to get help.
3. Citrus Foods
Eating sizable portions of citrus food can become deadly for your pet. The citric acid can lead to central nervous system depression in your pet. Small doses are okay and shouldn’t lead to anything serious.
If your pet ingests a sizable portion of citric acid, contact your vet for more information. You can only check out the ASPCA to learn more about citrus acid.
Grapes and raisins are especially toxic to cats and dogs. Symptoms can include diarrhea, weakness, abdominal pain, and death. The concern with eating grapes and raisins is kidney failure in your pets.
Your vet can help by inducing vomiting. They can also use activated charcoal to help your pet absorb what’s left of the toxic food. For more information on the toxicity of grapes, visit Banfield Pet Hospital.
You may not realize how many foods in your home contain caffeine. It is very toxic to pets. Some symptoms of ingesting caffeine are high blood pressure, tremors, seizures, and coma. If you notice any of these in your pet, seek professional treatment.
Medications can help your pet get over caffeine ingestion without serious medical issues. Learn more about caffeine toxicity in pets with VCA Hospitals.
For more foods toxic to your pets, look at The Humane Society’s List of Toxic Foods. If your pet shows any of these symptoms after ingesting toxic food, contact your local veterinary immediately.